Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
CUTS Hanoi Resource Centre, with the support of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC – Canada), is implementing a two-year project entitled “Study on Unfair Trade Practices in select ASEAN countries:, in cooperation with research partners in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
The overall objective of this project is to generate and promote substantive discussions/ dialogues in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on issues related to unfair trade practices (UTPs). This is expected to lead and contribute to the improvement of the relevant legal and institutional frameworks in ASEAN countries that seek to sustain a fair business environment therein and ensure equitable market outcomes in the long run.
This policy dialogue, designed as a forum for sharing the research findings and policy recommendations of the project with competition and consumer protection agencies in the ASEAN region, as well as other relevant stakeholder groups, for their feedbacks, is expected to contribute to the attainment of the specific objectives: (1) highlighting the relevance of designing appropriate regulatory frameworks to deal with UTPs in select ASEAN countries; (2) facilitating common understanding and networking between relevant stakeholder groups; (3) deepening the discussion and building capacity amongst members of the ASEAN Experts’ Group on Competition on issues related to UTPs as a starting point for ASEAN-level discussions on UTPs.
Depending on the outcome(s) of this policy dialogue, a second event would be organized in Jakarta (Indonesia), tentatively in late November 2012, either to follow up on the results of this policy dialogue and discuss on a possible extension/deepening of the current project; or to bring the whole exercise to a cumulative end.
The first policy dialogue was organised during the 12th of September, 2012 at Caravelle Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Presentations for the 1st policy dialogue:
- Deunden Nikomborirak_ A Study on Unfair Trade Practices in Thailand
- Tran Thi To Tam_Unfair Trade Practices in Vietnam
- Cheah Chee-Wah_Unfair Trade Practices_ Malaysia
- Ningrum N. Sirait_Study on Unfair Trade Practices (UTPs) in Indonesia
- Josef T. Yap_Unfair Trade Practices: Key findings of Survey, Analysis and Recommendations: The case of the Philippines
- Alice Pham_Presentation on the Project Synthesis Report
- Alice Pham_Comparative Table
- Douglas Brooks_ Other regions’ or international issues related to Unfair Trade Practice